We are proud of our student's academic accomplishments and make a point to share the mid-year and year-end grade point average (GPA) information with our community. Our students work extremely hard to overcome the various barriers that they face everyday such as overcrowding, the threat of gang activity, low high school graduation rates, poverty-stricken households, hunger, and little or no academic support available.
In order to stay in our program, each student must maintain a 2.0 GPA during each report card period. As you will see, every flight surpasses this expectation and often outperforms their peers as well.
2013 Mid-Year Report Card
- At Mid-Year 2012-2013, 88% of all El Viento Ocean View High School seniors had a GPA of 3.0 or higher, compared to 58% for all Ocean View High School seniors.
- On June 21st, we will celebrate the high school graduation of Flight 6.
- See our 2012-13 Mid-Year Report Card (PDF file)
2012 Mid-Year Report Card
- At Mid-Year 2011-2012, El Viento Ocean View High School students had an average GPA of 3.43, compared with an average GPA of 3.08 for all Ocean View High School students.
- On June 15th, we celebrated the high school graduation of Flight 5.
- See our 2012 Mid-Year Report Card (PDF file)
2011 Mid-Year Report Card
- 83% of El Viento students have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- On June 17th, we celebrated the high school graduation of Flight 4.
- See our 2011 Mid-Year Report Card (PDF file)
2010 Year-End Report Card
- We now have 32 students in college!
- For the first time, we have nine consecutive Flights from 4th through 12th grade.
- On June 18th, we celebrated the high school graduation of Flight 3.
- See our 2010 Year-End Report Card (PDF file)
2010 Mid-Year Report Card
- 67% of El Viento students have a GPA of 3.0 or higher, compared with 50% of all students.
- 25 new students from Flight 11 were welcomed into the program in March and Flight 3 graduated in June.
- Our summer 2009 was a great success. One of our students said, "I learned to not be afraid of trying something new. I also learned that, if I believed in myself, I could do something I haven't done before."
- See our 2010 Mid-Year Report Card (PDF file)
2009 Year-End Report Card
- El Viento high school students continue to outperform their peers
- For the first time in our history, we will have nine consecutive flights from 4th through 12th grade
- All Flight 3 students will graduate from Ocean View High School in June 2010
- See the 2009 Year-End Report Card >> (PDF file)
2009 Mid-Year Report Card / "Snapshot of Success"
- 100% of El Viento students passed the English-Language Arts and Math High School Exit Exam in 2007
- Focus groups revealed that El Viento participants saw themselves as much more prepared for higher education than the majority of their non-El Viento peers.
- A much higher proportion of El Viento students in the 9th, 10th and 11th grades were placed into higher proficiency rankings than their control group counterparts.
- See the 2009 Mid-Year Report Card >> (PDF file)
2007-08 School Year
- El Viento students maintained an almost half-point increase in GPA over matched control students in 10th and 12th grade.
- Overall, high school students had a significantly higher GPA than matched control students.
- Visual analysis suggests that El Viento students in 5th grade had better overall standardized test scores for English Language Arts and Mathematics than matched comparison groups.
- See the Program Evaluation Report for 2008 >> (PDF file)
2006-07 School Year
- Findings indicate that both parents and students had high levels of trust in the program from their initial contact. Student trust remained high over time and parent trust increased significantly in the first year, remaining high and stable in the second year of the program.
- Students in grades 4 through 8 had significantly higher math scores than their peers.
- Average GPA scores suggest that El Viento students maintain a significant half-point advantage over the matched comparison group through the 11th grade.
- See the Program Evaluation Report for 2006 >> (PDF file)